Close Menu
Fishe News
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • National
  • International
  • Tech
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • PMNI
  • More
    • Business
    • Culture
    • Education
    • History
    • Health
  • Featured
    • Fishe Travel
    • Fishe Media
    • Fishe TV
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • The United States 175,000-Visa Revocation Question
  • U.S. Response To The 2026 Ebola Outbreak
  • Bolt Business Records Strong Growth In Nigeria Amid Rising Demand For Corporate Mobility Solutions
  • U.S. Unveils Bold New Vision For Africa’s Trade, AI, Security And Infrastructure At Landmark Addis Symposium
  • Radisson Hotel Group, Accenture Reimagine The Future Of Hotel Discovery In The Age Of AI
  • Beyond The Headlines: What Nigeria’s Recognition As An AI Leader Really Means
  • Tinubu’s Military Expansion: A Bold Blueprint For A Safer Nigeria
  • EXCLUSIVE ANALYSIS: Why Trump’s Letter To Tinubu Signals A Major Shift In US Security Policy Toward Nigeria
X (Twitter) Instagram
Fishe NewsFishe News
Subscribe
Thursday, August 13
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • National
  • International
  • Tech
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • PMNI
  • More
    • Business
    • Culture
    • Education
    • History
    • Health
  • Featured
    • Fishe Travel
    • Fishe Media
    • Fishe TV
Fishe News
Home»Worldwide

Biden, Trump Debate Dates Confirmed For June And September

Omolemi EboisetaleBy Omolemi EboisetaleMay 17, 2024 Worldwide No Comments5 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email WhatsApp

U.S. President Joe Biden and Republican rival Donald Trump on Wednesday agreed to face off in two debates on June 27 and Sept. 10, setting up the highest stakes moments yet of the race for the White House.

“As you said: anywhere, any time, any place,” Biden said on social media.

Trump called Biden “the worst debater” he has ever faced. “I am Ready and Willing to Debate Crooked Joe at the two proposed times in June and September,” he posted on social media.

CNN, a division of Warner Bros Discovery, said the first debate would be held in their Atlanta studio with no audience, and would be moderated by anchors Jake Tapper and Dana Bash. Georgia is one of November’s most closely contested states.





The candidates also accepted an invitation from ABC, which will host a second debate on Sept. 10. A separate vice presidential debate has been proposed for July, after the Republican National Convention.

Key differences between the two sides remained on the terms of engagement. Biden said he would participate in those two debates under strict rules to reduce interruptions, while Trump called for more than two – and a very large venue “for excitement purposes.”

Independent U.S. presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr claimed in a new post on X that he will meet the criteria to participate in the CNN debate before the June 20 deadline. It remained unclear if he will qualify.

CNN requires its debate candidates to appear on a sufficient number of state ballots to reach the 270 electoral vote threshold and receive at least 15% in four separate national polls of registered or likely voters. A new Reuters/Ipsos poll showed only 13 pct of Americans would vote for Kennedy.

Earlier in the day Kennedy said Biden and Trump ” are trying to exclude me from their debate because they are afraid I would win.”

Debates, which will draw a U.S. live television audience in the tens of millions, are fraught with risks for both candidates, who face a tight race and low enthusiasm from voters.

Biden aides think debates could hurt Trump by exposing his positions on issues, including abortion, that they regard as political vulnerabilities.

Trump aides see Biden as prone to verbal slip-ups that could amplify voter concerns about the 81-year-old president’s age. Trump will be 78 by the time the first debate is held.

“Both candidates will be under greater scrutiny than they have ever been due to their age,” Alan Schroeder, a professor emeritus at Northeastern University who wrote the book “Presidential Debates: Risky Business on the Campaign Trial.” He called the debate “one of the only moments in which the candidates don’t have complete control.”

The first debate would take place after the June 15 conclusion of the Group of Seven summit in Italy and Trump’s criminal trial in New York.

DETAILS TO BE WORKED OUT

Biden’s debate proposal, the first formal offer by his campaign, ditched the decades-old tradition of three fall debates and called for direct negotiations between the Trump and Biden campaigns over the rules.

Asked about any preference for format or topics, Biden-Harris campaign spokesman Michael Tyler said some details remained to be worked out.

The move to accept debates shows Biden is willing to take a calculated risk to boost his opinion poll numbers in a race in which he is trailing Trump in key battleground states. In addition to his age, voters remain concerned about Biden’s handling of the economy.

Trump, who refused to debate his rivals during the Republican nominating race, has in recent weeks been challenging Biden to a one-on-one matchup with him, arguing that debates should be held before early voting begins in some states. He told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt the debate should be two hours and that both men should be required to stand.

Biden’s team earlier requested that only broadcast networks that hosted Republican primary debates in 2016 and Democratic primary debates in 2020 be eligible to host this year. Only four networks hosted debates for both parties during those election cycles: CNN, Telemundo, CBS News and ABC News.

The Biden team showed no signs of accepting Trump’s invitation for more debates. A Biden campaign spokesperson declined comment on the issue.

Biden said he would not take part in the traditional televised showdowns organized by the Commission on Presidential Debates, rejecting the nonpartisan organization that has managed them since 1988.

Trump had also expressed interest in bypassing the commission, and the Republican National Committee announced in 2022 that the party would leave the commission’s debate system altogether.

In a letter explaining the Biden campaign’s decision, campaign chair Jennifer O’Malley Dillon cited the commission’s past struggles to keep candidates from violating debate rules. She notified the commission that Biden will not be participating in the three general-election debates sponsored by the group, which are scheduled for Sept. 16, Oct. 1 and Oct. 9. The commission could not be reached for a comment.

“The debates should be conducted for the benefit of the American voters, watching on television and at home — not as entertainment for an in-person audience with raucous or disruptive partisans and donors, who consume valuable debate time with noisy spectacles of approval or jeering,” Dillon said.

Biden’s campaign also pressed for a debate that would occur before early voting started and without the participation of Robert F. Kennedy Jr. or any other independent or third-party candidates. Reuters

Biden and Trump debate
Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn WhatsApp
Omolemi Eboisetale
  • Website

Keep Reading

The United States 175,000-Visa Revocation Question

U.S. Response To The 2026 Ebola Outbreak

Bolt Business Records Strong Growth In Nigeria Amid Rising Demand For Corporate Mobility Solutions

U.S. Unveils Bold New Vision For Africa’s Trade, AI, Security And Infrastructure At Landmark Addis Symposium

Radisson Hotel Group, Accenture Reimagine The Future Of Hotel Discovery In The Age Of AI

Beyond The Headlines: What Nigeria’s Recognition As An AI Leader Really Means

Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Here is spotlighting many benefits of journeying with either Lagos State’s Blueline or Redline rails for a hassle-free day, week, month and year. Thank God for the Igbega Eko. Together we rise.
https://youtu.be/V67GV8wgyjw

Latest Posts

  • The United States 175,000-Visa Revocation Question
  • U.S. Response To The 2026 Ebola Outbreak
  • Bolt Business Records Strong Growth In Nigeria Amid Rising Demand For Corporate Mobility Solutions
  • U.S. Unveils Bold New Vision For Africa’s Trade, AI, Security And Infrastructure At Landmark Addis Symposium
  • Radisson Hotel Group, Accenture Reimagine The Future Of Hotel Discovery In The Age Of AI
Featured
About Fishe

FISHE was founded with the goal of helping clients thrive in today’s highly competitive marketing environment. While other companies rush to abandon traditional marketing in favour of digital techniques, we’ve bolstered our offline marketing capabilities while also equipping our team with seasoned professional knowledge to support our clients’ digital needs.

Through creative designs, we enhance our clients’ products and services the right way that would attract their target audience, thus, making the perception of their company a reality.

  • LTV 8, Agidingbi Road, Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos.
  • +234 806 003 7277
  • info@gofishe.com
FISHE, Your Best Plug For Bus Stop Shelter Ad

LATEST POSTS

The United States 175,000-Visa Revocation Question

August 12, 2026

U.S. Response To The 2026 Ebola Outbreak

August 11, 2026

Bolt Business Records Strong Growth In Nigeria Amid Rising Demand For Corporate Mobility Solutions

August 4, 2026

U.S. Unveils Bold New Vision For Africa’s Trade, AI, Security And Infrastructure At Landmark Addis Symposium

July 31, 2026

Radisson Hotel Group, Accenture Reimagine The Future Of Hotel Discovery In The Age Of AI

July 29, 2026
Featured

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest news from FISHE about politics, economy, health and business, etc

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
© 2026

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.