Author: Adejuyigbe Francis

Thought Leader, Idea Bank, Nation Builder.

Nigeria’s Super Eagles will face Mozambique national team in a friendly test next month, the Mozambican Football Federation has announced on Tuesday. Having sealed qualification for the Africa Cup of Nations for the first time in thirteen years, the Mozambique Football Federation (FMF) has now stepped up preparations for the team’s participation by announcing friendly matches against two African nations. The Super Eagles of Nigeria and fellow former Portuguese colony Guinea Bissau who are making back-to-back appearances at Africa’s premier football competition. Taking advantage of both countries’ presence in Portugal during the October international window, Mozambique have now confirmed a…

Read More

Liverpool owner Fenway Sports Group has agreed to sell a minority stake in the club worth between £82m and £164m to global sports investment firm Dynasty Equity. The deal ends the search for new investment by FSG, which wanted to retain majority ownership of the Reds. The new investment will primarily be used to pay off the club’s bank debt. “Our long-term commitment to Liverpool remains as strong as ever,” said FSG president Mike Gordon. “We have always said that if there is an investment partner that is right for Liverpool then we would pursue the opportunity to help ensure…

Read More

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has released 16 million dollars from the WHO Contingency Fund for Emergencies to tackle cholera. The Director-General of WHO, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus said this during an online news conference. Ghebreyesus said that the organisation was providing essential supplies, coordinating the on the ground response with partners, supporting countries to detect, prevent and treat cholera, and informing people how to protect themselves. “To support this work, we have appealed for 160 million dollars, and we have released more than 16 million dollars from the WHO Contingency Fund for Emergencies. “But the real solution to cholera lies…

Read More

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has ordered a comprehensive cleanup of the corridor of the 37-kilometre-long Lagos Rail Mass Transit (LRMT) Red Line project ahead of its completion, directing an immediate evacuation of illegal traders and intruders along the rail tracks. The governor, who gave the order during an inspection tour of the project sites, said the project will be ready by December. The construction of the Red Line project, which was conceived and started by the Sanwo-Olu administration, is being undertaken by the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA). The rail project starts from Agbado and terminates in the Oyingbo area…

Read More

A court sitting in Italy has sentenced the country’s citizen, Filippo Ferlazzo, to 24 years in prison for beating up a Nigerian, Alika Ogorchukwu, to death. The unsavoury development happened on July 30, 2022, at Marche Region of Italy, as confirmed at the time by the Nigerian Embassy, Rome, Italy. The convict, according to the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NidCOM), used the crutches Ogorchukwu was using to walk to beat him up to death. The Nigerian’s demise drew widespread reaction from Nigerians at the time, especially for the fact that passersby were seen making videos of the attack, with little…

Read More

Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has said there is no confusion about the judgment the governorship election tribunal delivered. Sani stated this during an interview on Channels TV’s Politics Today. The tribunal had earlier Thursday dismissed the petition by the governorship candidate of the PDP challenging Sani’s victory in the 18 March governorship election in the state, saying it lacked merit. But during the interview, Uba Sani said that he was extremely disappointed by some big media houses which  went to the press when the ruling was going on. He said, “I thank Isah Ashiru for even approaching the…

Read More

Getafe have condemned “derogatory and intolerant” chants aimed towards their team after Mason Greenwood was targeted by opposition fans. Loanee striker Greenwood, 21, was reportedly met with chants calling for him to die during Wednesday’s La Liga match against Athletic Bilbao. Criminal charges against Greenwood, including attempted rape and assault, were dropped in February. Greenwood joined Getafe on a season-long loan from Manchester United. The club said the chants have been “occurring repeatedly” at games but did not mention any players, members of staff, opposing teams or specific incidents in the statement. “The players and coaches of Getafe are aware of the…

Read More

The Governor of Kaduna State, Uba Sani is celebrating his victory at the Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Kaduna despite a slew of reports claiming the March 18 governorship election in the state was declared inconclusive. The candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Isah Mohammed Ashiru had filed a petition to challenge Sani’s election. As the three-man tribunal panel led by Justice Victor Oviawe delivered its judgement on the election on Thursday, September 28, 2023, several news reports stated that the court sacked Sani and declared the Kaduna governorship election inconclusive. However, contrary to the reports, Sani in his reaction to the judgment expressed…

Read More

Bayelsa State Governor, Senator Douye Diri, on Thursday condemned the resurgence of coups in Africa. Delivering a welcome address at the Goodluck Jonathan Foundation Democracy Dialogue Series: “Breaking New Grounds in the Democracy Development Nexus in Africa,” the governor invited the international community to observe the November 11 governorship election in the state in order to protect the integrity of the process. The governor said the decision to re-elect him or choose a governor for the state should be the people’s prerogative but, however, expressed concern that some of his opponents were resorting to violence, intimidation and brigandage to subvert…

Read More

The Governorship Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, on Thursday dismissed a petition brought by the APC challenging the election of Pastor Umo Eno of the Peoples Democratic Party. Udofia sought the disqualification of Pastor Eno’s election on the grounds that he presented forged documents to the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, and also did not score the highest number of valid votes in the March 18, 2023 Governorship elections. Udofia also accused the 2nd respondent of being convicted by an Abuja Magistrate Court, hence not qualified to be fielded for elections. But in favour of Governor…

Read More

Super Eagles star Odion Ighalo sends Al-Wehda to the Saudi King Cup quarterfinal. Super Eagles of Nigeria striker Odion Ighalo is back among the goals. The 34-year-old striker once again found the back net in a domestic competition in Saudi Arabia. Ighalo made his return for Al-Wehda against Al Orubah in a round of 16 Saudi Arabia King Cup fixture played on Wednesday, September 27, 2023. It was a tough encounter with both sides unable to find the back of the net in the first half. The second half had the second tone to the first with both sides struggling in…

Read More

Brighton & Hove Albion are keeping calm amid growing interest in head coach Roberto De Zerbi. The 44-year-old’s work at the AMEX Stadium over the past 12 months has received widespread acclaim, with the Italian building on the foundations laid by previous incumbent Graham Potter to guide the Seagulls to a record sixth-place Premier League finish last season. De Zerbi’s side are competing in European competition for the first time as a result – an achievement the former Shakhtar Donetsk boss called “more prestigious than winning the title”. Brighton have continued the momentum in the early weeks of the 2023/24…

Read More